Monday, November 15, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy – Challenge 46 Volunteering

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy – Challenge 46

Week 46: Assess your volunteer potential. The last two weeks’ challenges focused on volunteerism and local genealogy societies (which are also dependent on volunteers). Take a look at your skill set and determine what types of opportunities best suit you. Do you speak two languages? Maybe you can offer translation services. Do you only have free time after the kids are in bed? Perhaps an indexing project is best for you. Knowing your strengths can help shape your research process. If you take this challenge a step further and actually volunteer, give yourself a pat on the back. Bloggers are encouraged to assess and share their own skill sets, as well as any volunteer experiences they have.
This challenge runs from Saturday, November 13, 2010 through Friday, November 19, 2010.

I am not a driver so my volunteering possibilities are somewhat limited.  I do index on a regular basis for both ancestry.com and familysearch.org., I also volunteer one day (4 hrs) at a local Family History Center, and have begun to volunteer for 4 hrs in the genealogy room at the library.  I can teach indexing, help with several family tree software programs, and even help someone begin to blog.  I also watch several message boards in areas I am fairly comfortable with and try to offer help or look-ups for others.  I have also taught the Boy Scout Merit Badge and will probably do so again.  I have received lots of help and advice in the past and believe in paying it forward.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for playing along with the 52-week challenge. You are very busy! Thank you for your contributions to genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thanks for coming up with the challenges. It helps me to keep blogging. What can I say - I'm retired?

    ReplyDelete