Monday, November 29, 2010

Genabloggers Military Monday - Who served?

When I began doing genealogy, I knew from my ancestral background that there were probably no American military men in the background.  My immigrants were too recent.  But once I began researching my husband's family, I began to wonder about the soldiers I would find among his ancestors.


Dave's Ferguson line appears in York Co, Virginia as early as 1670.  Time and place alone would suggest that there would be some Revolutionary soldiers in the family.  Yesterday at the library, I picked up volume 2 of Genealogical Abstracts of Revolutionary War Pension Files.abstracted by Virgil D White.  On page 1234  the surname Ferguson appears.  Of the many Fergusons listed is John Ferguson, born 15 Jan 1755 in York, VA.  The abstract details the family's moves from Virginia to North Carolina, Ohio, and finally Boone Co, Indiana where John died in 1842.

There is more to learn as I begin to navigate the NARA files, but it will provide lots of details about John.s life as a Revolutionary soldier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment