Thursday, December 16, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Grab Bag A Tradition begins

Grab Bag

Author’s choice. Please post from a topic that helps you remember Christmases past!
 
I didn't post a blog about Christmas gifts because, although it was a very special Christmas gift, it also began a tradition in our family.

My husband and I were expecting our first child in April.  That year Aunt Kathy gave us a Christening gown for Christmas.  It was a 4 piece set of embroidered white nylon consisting of a matching coat, dress, and bonnet with a plain slip.  In our family infants are usually baptized within the first month of birth. Both of my children were baptized in that outfit. And a tradition was begun.

As time passed, each of my 17 nieces and nephews were baptized  in the dress.  As each child wore the dress, their name and date were embroidered on the slip.  Pink for girls and blue for boys of course.  When the next generation began the colors were changed to apricot/peach and mint green.  My grandchildren didn't wear the dress since they had a dress made from their grandmother's and mother's wedding dresses.  They did wear the slip so their names and dates have been added.  I'm not sure which of my nieces or nephews has the dress right now but I'll send them a copy of this and see where it turns up.

1 comment: