Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Christmas and Deceased Relatives

Did your family visit the cemetery at Christmas? How did your family honor deceased family members at Christmas?

Our family did not visit the cemetery at Christmas.  We used to visit the cemetery on Decoration or Memorial Day.

My father died on Dec 28, 1959.  With all nine of us under 18 at the time, Mom had a very difficult time carrying on the family Christmas traditions.  Keep them she did however.  The Christmas after he died we still had a gathering of relatives which included a meal I am sure.

After my husband died suddenly, in Oct of 2005, it was very difficult to plan for the holidays.  Because I was living with my daughter and grandchildren, I drew on my mother's strength and made it through Christmas.  So that the grandchildren would know where to always find grandpady I bought a star and named it for him.  The certificate of that star hangs in a place of honor in their home. 

We don't wait for the holidays to remember our deceased relatives.  It's an ongoing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment