Friday, May 25, 2012

Norwegian Porridge - Geneabloggers Family Recipe Friday

Norwegian food - it's not just Lobscouse and Salmon!

In the tradition of Family Food Friday, I am writing about a meal I recently experienced that could have easily been a family tradition.  If my grandfather had not left Norway in 1892, this meal would probably have been a part of my routine.  My daughter Laura and I were fortunate to visit the home of a cousin whose grandfather did not leave Norway and she prepared a traditional Norwegian meal for my daughter and I.  The meal consisted of Norwegian porridge, salt ham, salt sausage, a very thin version of wassa brodt, and potato salad.

The potato salad appeared to use a mixture of sour cream and mayonnaise for the dressing and consisted mainly of potatoes and onions.  The porridge was also made of sour cream and I found a similar recipe on-line that I am including here.  Even the condiments, sugar, cinnamon, and butter, are the same.  I used all of them on my portion and Laura used only the sugar and cinnamon.  I would have to agree with her that the sugar and cinnamon only would be my favorite combination.  Here is the recipe I found on-line at http://www.desktopcookbook.com/images-recipe/54856



ROMMEGROT (SOUR CREAM PORRIDGE)


Ingredients
2 cups sour cream

1/2 cup flour

1-1//2 cups milk

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 teaspoon salt

butter

sugar
cinnamon

Instructions
Bring sour cream and cream to a soft boil for 5 minutes. Sift and stir in 3 
tablespoons flour - one spoon at a time. Keep at low heat while adding the 
remainder of the flour and milk intermittently. After all is added, bring up to a
 boil on low heat and cook for an additional 5 minutes while stirring. This 
porridge/pudding is thin and light. Ladle rommegrot onto individual dinner 
plates or bowls. If you want to eat like a real Norwegian Viking, you have
 to sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top of the pudding. Wait, don't forget 
the smørøye (eye of butter - exact translation) - that is a dab of butter.





No comments:

Post a Comment